THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON 50TH ANNIVERSARY ANIMATED MUSIC VIDEO COMPETITION
To celebrate the 50th anniversary of “The Darkside of the Moon”, Pink Floyd invites animators to enter a competition to create an animated music video for all ten of the songs from the iconic 1973 album. Why animation? Pink Floyd has had a rich history of collaborating with up and coming animators from the beginnings of the band, and in some cases the visuals that accompany the songs have become synonymous with the music itself. The band would like to give the latest up and coming animators an opportunity to innovate and present a fresh impression on these timeless aural works. The deadline for submissions is [date] (“the Competition”).
Animators can enterany number of entries for each song on the album. Read on for more information about entering the Competition, and the Competitions’ terms and conditions.
£235,000 total in cash prizes consisting of:
- £10,000 prize for the winner for each song:
- Speak to Me
- Breathe (In the Air)
- On the Run
- The Great Gig in the Sky
- Us and Them
- Any Colour You Like
- Brain Damage
- Additional bonus prize overall:
- 1st Prize: £100,000
- 2nd Prize: £25,000
- 3rd Prize: £10,000
Each of the above amounts being, individually, “a Prize” and, collectively, “the Prizes”.
In addition, all winners will have their video entries uploaded to the official Pink Floyd YouTube channel.
COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS (“THE TERMS”)
- The promoter of the Competition is Pink Floyd Music Ltd, a company incorporated under the laws of England and Wales with company number 01079610 and whose registered office is at 71 Queen Victoria Street, London, United Kingdom, EC4V 4BE (“the Promoter”).
- The Competition is open to everyone except:
- employees of the Promoter, Warner Music Group, Parlophone Records Limited, Sony Music Entertainment and/or their holding and subsidiary companies;
- employees of agents or suppliers of the Promoter or its holding or subsidiary companies who are professionally connected with the competition or its administration or promotion; or
- members of the immediate families or households of those set out in clauses 2(a) and (b) above; BUT
- if you are under the age of 18, you must obtain written parental or guardian consent to enter and claim your prize. The Promoter may ask any winner of a Prize to provide proof of such written consent and/or age before awarding any Prize.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this Competition. There is no charge to register for use of the Promoter’s website in order to enter the Competition.
- By entering this Competition and submitting your entry, you are agreeing:
- to be bound by these Terms;
- that you are eligible to do so; and
- that you are eligible to claim any Prize you may win.
The Promoter may require you to provide proof that you are eligible to enter the Competition before awarding any Prize.
- The Competition will run from [time] on [date] (the “Opening Date“) to [time] on 31st March 2023 (the “Closing Date“) inclusive.
- Any style of animation will be accepted, but the audio must be any one of ten songs from Pink Floyd’s “The Darkside of the Moon” album. Any entries that are not animated will be disqualified from the Competition. Hybrid live-action and animation is not eligible for the Competition. Claymation and stop motion is acceptable. Neither a PF Recording and/or a PF Composition (as those terms are defined in clause 22 below) can be modified in any way, shape or form. Additional audio added to the beginning or end of your video entry for context of the visual storyline will be accepted for entry. You are permitted to add a beginning or end slate for their personal or production company name. Video entries that include visuals of discrimination of race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or any type of prejudice will be disqualified from entry.
- To enter the Competition you must upload your video entry to YouTube and submit that YouTube link to the Promoter at the following address [insert email/postal addresses here]. To be eligible for the Competition your video entry must comply to a current YouTube supported video file formats (click here for a list of accepted formats) with a minimum 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels) resolution. Full HDR videos are preferred. Click here for YouTube’s HDR video format specifications.
- All Competition entries must be submitted to YouTube and to the Promoter at the address set out at clause 1 above by no later than [time] on the Closing Date. All Competition entries received after the Closing Date are automatically disqualified.
- If the Promoter receives fewer than 30 submitted video entries by the Closing Date then the Promoter reserves the right to cancel the Competition and not award any Prizes. The Promoter shall be under no obligation to continue with the Competition and/or award any Prize if fewer than 30 video entries are submitted.
- Multiple video entries from the same person are permitted.
- The Promoter will not accept:
- responsibility for video entries that are lost, mislaid, damaged or delayed in transit, regardless of cause, including, for example, as a result of any postal failure, equipment failure, technical malfunction, systems, satellite, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind;
- responsibility for video entries that are not received for any other reason; and/or
- proof of posting or transmission as proof of receipt of entry to the Competition.
- The Promoter reserves all rights to disqualify you if your conduct is contrary to the spirit or intention of the Competition.
- The Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition and these Terms without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the Competition and/or these Terms will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the Promoter.
- The Promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this Competition.
- The Prizes are as stated and no additional cash or other alternatives will be offered. The Prizes are not transferable.
- Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges appointed by the Promoter. Video entries will be judged on quality of the visuals, artistic technique, plot and storyline.
- The Promoter will publish or make available information that indicates that a valid award took place. To comply with this obligation the Promoter will publish the surname and county of major prize winners and, if applicable, their winning entries in [name of media] on [date] (“Announcement Date”). If you object to any or all of your surname, county and winning entry being published or made available, please contact the Promoter at [insert contact details/ link to contact details]. In such circumstances, the Promoter must still provide the information and winning entry to the Advertising Standards Authority on request.
- The Promoter will make all reasonable efforts to notify the winner by email within [2 weeks] of the Closing Date, and inform the winner when and how the Prize can be collected. If the winner cannot be contacted or is not available, or has not claimed their prize within [number] of days of the Announcement Date, the Promoter reserves the right to offer the Prize to the next eligible entrant selected from the correct entries that were received before the Closing Date.
- The Promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the Competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Prize may not be claimed by a third party on your behalf. The Promoter does not accept any responsibility if you are not able to take up the Prize.
- The Competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, YouTube or any other social network. In entering the Competition and submitting your entry you are providing your information to the Promoter only and not to any other party.
- In entering into the Competition and submitting your video entry in accordance with these terms and conditions, the Promoter is deemed to have granted you a limited, revocable, non-exclusive licence to copy the Pink Floyd recording from the album “The Dark Side Of The Moon” (“PF Recording”) and the underlying composition (music and lyrics) embodied on that PF Recording (“PF Composition”) that you have used in your video entry strictly and solely for the purposes of creating your video entry. All other rights in, to and/or in relation to any PF Recording and/or PF Composition are fully and expressly reserved to PFML. Any other use by you of any PF Recording and/or PF Composition other than as is specifically set out herein is strictly and expressly prohibited by the Promoter and you must note that the Promoter will exercise and/or enforce any or all of its rights (whether under these terms and conditions or otherwise at law) in respect of any unauthorised use by you (or any third party) of such PF Recording and/or PF Composition.
- In consideration of the Promoter granting you the limited licence of rights set out in clause 22 above, you hereby agree and acknowledge that in submitting your video entry you irrevocably, exclusively and with full title guarantee assign to the Promoter, including by way of a present assignment of future rights, all rights in and to the your video entry (including, without limitation, all copyrights and/or other proprietary rights as defined in the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988) and/or pursuant to laws in force throughout the world (and any amendments, extensions and revisions thereto) free from all claims and encumbrances for the Promoter to hold the same unto itself, its successors and assigns absolutely for exploitation at its sole discretion in all media, formats and/or configurations (whether now or in the future developed) throughout the world for the full period of copyright and all possible renewals, reversions, revivals and extensions thereof and thereafter (insofar as may be or become possible) in perpetuity, and without restriction and/or further payment to you and/or any third party.
- Without in any way limiting the generality of the assignment of rights set out in clause 23 above, the Promoter will have the sole right to monetize and use the submitted video entry content from the winners including, without limitation, on Pink Floyd’s YouTube channel and its other social network pages including, without limitation, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and/or Snapchat.
- Subject to the above, the Promoter hereby grants you a non-exclusive, revocable licence to post or upload your video entry (and the PF Recording and/or PF Composition embodied in your video entry) to your YouTube and/or your other social media channels (subject to clause 23 above) provided that:
- you agree you will not be allowed to post or upload the video entry (including, without limitation, the PF Recording and/or PF Composition embodied in your video entry) for 3 months on your own YouTube channel after your video entry is posted on the official Pink Floyd YouTube channel; and/or
- you shall be solely responsible for obtaining all necessary consents, permissions, licences and/or waivers (and/or paid any applicable fees in respect thereof) in respect of any use, distribution, uploading and/or other exploitation you make of your video entry; and/or
- the Promoter may take such action (and/or authorise any third party to take such action) as it deems necessary (including, without limitation, issuing take-down notices) if in its opinion your posting or uploading of your video entry on your YouTube and/or your other social media channels is unlawful, offensive, derogatory to the Promoter, Pink Floyd and/or any third party and/or is damaging to the reputation or otherwise likely to damage, lower or otherwise adversely affect the reputation and goodwill of the Promoter and/or Pink Floyd (or have the effect of doing any of the foregoing). The Promoter expressly reserves all of its rights and remedies in this respect accordingly.
- The Promoter shall have the right, at its sole discretion and at any time, to change or modify these Terms, such change shall be effective immediately upon posting on this page.
- Any video entry submitted as an entry must not be the same as one submitted for any previous competition or contest.
- Winners will be responsible for any costs in transferring the Prize to the winners.
- By entering the Competition and/or submitting your entry you warrant that:
- you agree to these Terms and you are able to grant all rights in and to your video entry and or entry details as set out in these terms and conditions
- the content of your video entry (with the exception of the underlying PF Recording and/or PC Composition embodied in your video entry) will be wholly original to you and nothing in your video entry will be defamatory, blasphemous, obscene or infringe the copyright or other like right of any person, firm or company, nor incorporate any third party material including, without limitation, any samples;
- you own, exclusively control and/or have obtained all necessary consents, permissions, licences and/or waivers (and/or paid any applicable fees in respect thereof) to include, use or otherwise embody all elements, materials, contents and other constituent parts of your video entry;
- no part of your video entry (with the exception of the underlying PF Recording and/or PC Composition in your video entry) has been, or will be published anywhere in the world prior to the Closing Date; and/or
- you will indemnify and at all times keep the Promoter fully indemnified against all claims, actions, costs, liabilities, penalties, proceedings and/or damages whatsoever incurred by and/or awarded against the Promoter and arising from any alleged or actual infringement or breach by you of these terms and conditions, and/or any of the warranties, undertakings, representations and agreements given by you under these terms and conditions.
- Insofar as is, and to the fullest extent, permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable:
- to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the Prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees;
- for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the Competition or as a result of accepting any Prize;
- for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment or software, failure of any email or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet, telephone lines or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer or mobile telephone related to or resulting from participation in the competition.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing shall exclude the Promoter’s liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence. Your statutory rights are not affected.
- The Competition and these Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. You and the Promoter irrevocably agree that the courts of England shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any claim or matter or to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these terms and conditions and that accordingly any proceedings may be brought in such courts.